From:
Jim Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Apr 2000 22:27:56 -0400
>    Lovely pictures. Great depth of field---always a problem that taxes me.

Hi Art,

Depth of field is easily compensated for my having a heavy duty strobe, so
you can shoot with an aperture of f/22 or even f/32 (if your camera has
it). Another thing is to use a wide angle lens (with a +1 or +2 close up
filter) which lets you get close to your subject with tremendous depth of
field. For micros (if you're shooting with a 35mm camera), you can reverse
the lens on an extension tube or with bellows to get closer and typically
that also gives you greater DOF. But the main secret is the strobe -- plus
making sure that your camera is actually focusing correctly (with an SLR,
having the mirror off by even half a degree will cause you to think you're
focused, but the lens doesn't see the object the same once the mirror is
up). SLRs should be checked every year if they are used extensively and
it's an inexpensive proposition. Of course, with these new digital cameras,
you are looking at an LCD, so mirrors aren't a problem, plus the auto focus
on most cameras is far better than our eyes. I used to do microphotography
on a regular basis when I was younger (lots of tiny insects and micro
flowers) so I learned a lot and it's almost second nature now.

Hope that helps and many thanks for the wonderful compliment. Coming from
you it means a lot.

Best regards,
Jim

Jim Miller