From:
"Orstan, Aydin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2000 08:18:57 -0400
When M. thyroidus becomes an adult, it stops growing & forms a reflected
lip. Prior to that, as Thomas Watters explained, periostracum forms first &
extends over the already formed shell. On the other hand, Anguispira never
really stops growing, especially if you keep them in captivity. So, there is
always a very narrow strip of periostracum extending over the lip. In
juvenile shells, regardless of species, the shell around the lip is always
soft & fragile.

Aydin