From:
peta bethke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2000 20:03:16 -0300
Aw , there isn't enough room under these rocks for all of us Frank.... You'll have to take a number and wait for the first
available rock that becomes vacant....

I believe that there should be some tolerance of minor advertising on this here discussion forum (minor) and this can be
supported up by the following.

As a recent auction chairman for our club I will be the first to state that if dealers didn't contribute as graciously as
they do  the auctions would be nothing but a few out of date books , a starfish missing an arm and a box of sand.
The clubs need these auctions to survive (unless they happen to be backed by some gracious institution) and the funds they
bring in goes towards creating the shell shows , without the shell shows we don't get a chance to see those marvelous
collections so it all goes hand in hand . We need dealers and we should be trying to help them instead of labeling them the
fatcats or robberbarons. I know it's a hairpulling tedious job and personally I would never be able to handle the stress.

Secondly we need dealers to supply those certain shells we have been longing for. I mean how economical would it be for us to
travel to far away places everytime we found a hole in the collection that needs filling ....I can't count how many times we
would travel from the middle of Florida (when we were living in dade city) to honeymoon island to try and beat the crowds
onto the beach after a big storm .... To see people coming back from the other end of the island with junonias in hand and
knowing that we were just an hour too late to find one .... but then we went to our first shell show (SANIBEL shell clubs
1996 show) and there was a box of apricot colored junonias ,,,$10 each ,,,, my white whale was landed ....

So what's the point ferret? ok, it's simple ,,,,don't look a gift horse in the mouth. it may spit.... or better yet , think
about this , without the dealers there would be no shell shows , no COA, no cheap common indo pacific shells . no shell lists
to look forward to.

And for those who asked I never told anyone to leave this or any other list ... hey we all have free will, we all can do what
we want in our own homes and even tho I've been asked to leave the list numerous times ,I didn't run away .... I simply roll
along , a ferret has a long tail, it gets stepped on all the time ...
Frank , Ross, Larry, Al, Donald, Chris and anyone else i might have missed THANK YOU for helping all of the clubs and keeping
us afloat!!!!

Mark James Bethke
3001 South Ocean Drive
Suite 4-V
Hollywood, Florida
U.S.A.
(954) 922-8189

auction thwould have little to nothing to auction off as most of our members need
If it were not for the dealers most of use would have a small cabinet of beach drift to show for our collections . -----