Date:
Sat, 3 Jun 2000 15:24:03 -0500
peta bethke wrote:

> Hello Good People of the "L",
> I'm having a difficult time finding latin names for some common floridian urchins ,
> some i only know by common name , some i can only give a discription, any help would be most appreciated and a BIG THANK YOU
> for all the positive feed back on the ship.....
>
> Sea Biscuit, clypeaster rosaceus? and is the flattened type a subspecies?
> 5 hole sand dollar?
> sea mouse, fat little rotund urchin looks like same family as clypeaster?
> california sand dollar with no holes .....
> is the green and the purple lytechinus variegatus different species?
>
> thank you in advance , the informataion is most helpful, mark behtke hollywood florida
>
> I appreciate the help

I found these citations in the Peterson Guides "Coral Reefs" and
"Atlantic Seashore" and in the "Audubon Society Field Guide to Seashore
Creatures". No authors are given:

Inflated sea biscuit - Clypeaster roasceus

Flat sea biscuit - Clypeaster subdepressus

Five-holed keyhole urchin - Mellita quinquiesperforata

Sea Mouse - this name is given to a polychaete worm, Aphrodita hastata.
Of course, that doesn't mean it could not be applied to an echinoderm
also - that's the problem with common names.

The California sand dollar might be the Common sand dollar,
Echinarachnius parma, although California is somewhat south of its
range.

Purple sea urchin - Strongylocentrotus purpuratus

Green sea urchin - Strongylocentrotus droebachiensis

I'm certainly no expert, but this will help.
Winston Barney , Fort Worth, Texas
catapultam habeo. nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis,
ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.