From:
"William M. Frank" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 23:46:04 -0400
One Hastula cinera salleana image (specimens collected this
afternoon) is posted at:

http://home.sprynet.com/~wfrank/terebra.htm

H/W treatment of this taxon in ms from Harry Lee's upcoming book
relating to the species:
(see http://home.sprynet.com/~wfrank/marine.htm)
-------
601. Hastula cinerea salleana  (Deshayes, 1859) Sallé's Auger  [1]  35 mm.
Swash zone, S.E. Cumberland Is., GA. BH! 7/90. (BH).
Swash zone, Little Talbot Is. CH! 1958. (CH).
Swash zone, S. Jacksonville Beach. NB,BH,NH! 1987-91. (NB,BH,NH).
Swash zone, St. Augustine Beach. FC! 8/25/65. (FC).
Swash zone, 1.0 mi. N. Crescent Beach. HL,HM! 1974-84. (HM,HL).
Enlarges known range vs. Abbott (1974): "Northwest Florida to Texas and Vera
Cruz, Mexico, Brazil." From  June to August this species appears in the
swash zone and, especially in July, can be found in copula. This taxon is
greatly misunderstood in the literature; the Carolinian subspecies is H. c.
salleana, which intergrades with H. c. cinerea in S.E. Florida and on the
Caribbean coast of northern Central America. The nominotypical subspecies
envenomates and then consumes (whole) polychaete worms (Marcus and Marcus,
1960); Humfrey's (1975) report of H. c. c. feeding on Donax clams is viewed
with skepticism.
----------

The "in copula" H. c. salleana image will be posted on its own page later
after I finish with my Melongena corona updates, under construction
with Phil Poland's great slide scans (19 images thus far) at:

http://home.sprynet.com/~wfrank/corona.htm

Bill Frank
1865 Debutante Dr.
Jacksonville, FL 32246-8645
~~~~~~~~~
Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page at:
http://home.sprynet.com/~wfrank/jacksonv.htm