From:
Bill Fenzan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 17:59:08 -0400
Leslie,

There is a brief explanation of why the third volume in the Cernorsky series
has a different title inside the book itself.  Here is what it says in the
"Author's Foreword" in my copy  of Tropical Pacific Marine Shells:

""TROPICAL Pacific Marine Shells" is a continuation of the third volume of
"Marine Shells of the Pacific" volumes I and II published in 1967 and 1972
respectively.  Because of confusion among collectors between volumes I and
II, the title of this third volume has been changed to "Tropical Pacific
Marine Shells" at the publisher's request."

This may be the explanation Mr. Petit remembers.  I recall that I was
somewhat puzzled at the wording of this explanation because I was never
confused about the two earlier volumes.  Each is quite different in
appearance (i.e. the first volume is half as thick as the second,  the dust
jackets are completely different colors - white and black, the layout of the
book is different in each volume and they are titled differently).  Because
of these clear-cut differences between volumes I and II, it is hard for me
to imagine general confusion between the volumes.

Warm regards,

Bill

William J. Fenzan
401 Sinclair St.