From:
Patty Jansen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jul 2000 14:40:35 +1000
Dear Andrew and others,

This incessant splitting of names of Australian cowries annoys me to no
end. What is worse, many holotypes are never lodged with recognised
institutions, and are often based on one shell only.

As for your shell, one should never use a proposed name before it is
published, so if you believe it is a new species (which I am highly
sceptical about but can't judge because I can't see the shell), you should
refer to it as Cypraea sp. The proposed name may never be published at all.

As for those planning to describe new species, I think it would be good
practice to never mention the proposed new name to anyone, let alone put it
on labels, before your new description has been accepted for publication.

My two bob's worth

Patty

Bookshop: http://www.booksofnature.com

Publishing and info site: http://www.capricornica.com

Capricornica Publications/Books of Nature
P.O. Box 345
Lindfield NSW 2070
Australia

ABN 39 003 916 210

phone/fax: 02 9415 8098 international: +61 2 9415 8098
mobile 0412 865030

E-mail: [log in to unmask]