From:
Alan Gettleman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jul 2000 08:27:37 -0400
Dear Shellers,
Betty Jean's impending trip (she has an advantage over most of us, she
is closer to the shells and therefore can see them easier), and Art's
comment about rubrolabiata reminds me of a shell club program from years
past.  The Greater St. Louis Shell Club members look forward to the
montly meetings.  Being in the American mid-west and over 1,000 miles
from any sea shore, the program is the best forum to learn about shells,
especially in those days before the internet and COA.  In the early
1970's one member who specialized in Olives did a great program and
commented one of the few he did not have was O. rubrolabiata.  Since the
Oliva are so similar, I had to ask the obvious question, "How do you
tell them apart?"  The answer, as elegant as any I have heard was:
"Simple, I look at the label."

Alan Gettleman (Still a member of The Greater St. Louis Shell Club)
Merritt Island, FL (and Member, Astronaut Trail Shell Club, host club,
July 7-11,2001 at the Radisson at the Port, Cape Canaveral, FL
for COA 2001)