Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 11:02:07 -0500
Does anyone know a source for live Perna?  They are abundant in local Chinese buffets, Italian restaraunts, and the like, but the DNA is not doing too well at that point.

For that matter, I remain interested in any bivalve material suitable for DNA work.  The most convenient method of preserving samples for DNA is to put the live bivalve into plenty of ethanol, as strong as is available.  Changing the ethanol after a little while is advisable, to make sure water from the animal does not dilute it.

If anyone is interested in bivalve systematics, the Geological Society of London has just published a volume on the Bivalvia, including two papers on molecular systematics, a mostly Paleozoic morphological phylogeny, and various papers on specific groups.  The price is a bit high, over 90 pounds or well over $100 (I do not remember the current exchange rate).  However, it does give the latest scoop on classification, including surprises from Plicatula and Myoida.

    Dr. David Campbell
    "Old Seashells"
    Biology Department
    Saint Mary's College of Maryland
    18952 E. Fisher Road
    St. Mary's City, MD  20686-3001 USA
    [log in to unmask], 301 862-0372 Fax: 301 862-0996
"Mollusks murmured 'Morning!'.  And salmon chanted 'Evening!'."-Frank Muir, Oh My Word!