From:
Lori Schroeder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jun 2001 21:20:44 -0400
Dear list members,

First, allow me to interject a couple of thoughts about internet/email
security as this has been of topic lately.

Obtain and configure a virus program that screens all emails and
attachments before they enter your email program.   Running your virus
checker daily or weekly to scan for files is too late and "after the
fact" of an infection.

Concurrent with the absolute need for this "on the fly" email scanning
is frequent, if not daily, virus updates.  Many virus programs can be
configured to check for and install updates automatically, behind the
scenes.

Never open attachments from those you do not know, and only after they
have been scanned from those you do know or are expecting.

We should not be too quick to blame others for our own lack of
security.   There are  numerous threats while we all use the internet.
Viruses, trojans, Netbus, BackOrifice, SubSeven, TCP and UDP port
scanning, bots, ddos(dedicated denial of service) attacks for servers
using unwitting people's computers as drones, and IP address
spoofing(forging) and more make for a "wild west" environment.  Learn
about these issues or get a relative to help you. Also, install
anti-virus, firewall, and anti-trojan software.

An ounce of prevention (and knowledge) is worth...

Lori