From:
Karen Lamberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 18:42:08 -0400
The problem is twofold, as I have seen it, but I have never had my luggage
checked or my declarations questioned. Yes, I am sure some officials are a
little bent. However, many are truely "ignorant" your word not mine. On one
trip a reserve ranger insisted that shells we had were "conch" and to drop
them back off the dock where he met our boat. But, when we pulled out a
little field guide and showed him what was and what was not conch, he
changed his tune on most of what we had. Our actual "conchs" were
melongenas, but he felt that was close enough to be in dispute. We
acquiessed with the reservation that he accompany us back out to the reef
where we got them as they would not find adequate habitat at the particular
dock we were tied up to. After some thought, he let us and the shells go
with a warning ( we had only about three anyway). I think he wanted to do a
good job, but it was around 7 pm and I think he also wanted to get home to
dinner not make an hour's round trip to the area where the shells were
collected.
In terms of entry into the US, I have always used the old bromide "shells
for research study, no commercial value" and have not been questioned. This
has been my experience in virtually every caribbean and central American
country.
In terms of Belize, another comment. Let me first say this could be my
second home. I truely love the place and the people who seem so proud of
their resources and history. Starting about 10 years ago, the gov't. started
giving no cost classes for any citizen who wanted to become a ranger, or who
had a connection to the land or ocean for a living. The theory was if
everyone knows what the birds, bees, flowers, etc. are; then when a tourist
asks "what's that" and Joe Citizen tells them the tourist says "ah Ha, they
have ecotourism there"  and will return to learn more, thus each citizen can
help the land and ocean remain wonderful and raise the economy at the same
time. It seems to be working, I have met many Belizeans who happily talk
about what is around them and it rubs off on those who have not yet had
access to the classes also. We had a shelling "guide" at the Blue Marlin
Resort in southern Belize who was a treasure, he didn't know what they were
(not names and habits), but he knew where they were! Show a picture and off
we went with great sucess. Then I noticed that every time my field guide
came out, he was hanging on my shoulder. At the end of our week we had a
little talk. Beside his tip, a said that I had noticed his interest, did he
want to learn, yes he did! Ok, which would he prefer- if I go home and send
you a book, would you have to pay customs? Yes, much money! Well, you saw my
book all dog earred and the cover coming off from use. Which would you like?
The one that's here.  For the last day and night of our trip, which did not
include diving, every time I caught a glimpse of him he was off somewhere
reading that book. And in the evening, when many of the other workers were
off duty they were all over him. I never travel now without an extra copy in
case I find an interested local. A little $6.00 copy of Abbott & Zim's No.
American Seashells in soft cover is very little to spend to encourage
someone to learn. I intend to follow my own example regardless of where I
travel from now on!  Just a thought.