From:
Linda Bush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 08:07:23 -0500
Here's another i.d. question (surprise) - you'd think I was a
beginning collector.  No, just becoming more persnickity
(spelling?) about my collection.

Question:   How does one distinguish Mitra fillaregina from
Mitra taeniatum (synonym supposedly vittata)?    I have lways thought my "hollowe'en colored Miter was taeniatum, but there is an image of fillaegina on e-Bay that makes me wonder if I am right?

Using the Compendium, my shell has many more ribs - about
twenty on the next to the body whorl and are low less prominent than those on fillaregina, thus giving a more rounded
shape than the fillaregina pictured; and there are four plicae on the columella.

Help!

Thanks,
Linda

P.S.   There is nothing like attending a COA convention to make
a collectorwant to be more exact in identifying the shells in one's shells.    Again, this shell came, without data, from one of the founders of our club, when I was just a begiinning collector.