From:
"Tom Rice (Of Sea and Shore)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2001 20:35:26 -0700
Peter and Carol,

Washington has instituted draconian restrictions on collecting! A number of
the edible/commercial mollusks are regulated as to number of pounds, or in
the case of the largest bivalves (Tresus and Panopea) number of specimens.
Then they have what are called "miscellaneous  critters" (not their exact
term) which covers everything else not specifically mentioned - for those
you can collected ONLY TEN IN THE AGGREGATE! (Pick up a large Nucella
lamellosa, with nine barnacles on the shell and you're done for the day!) A
license is required fo any type of collecting. We'll get out more exact
details and costs prior to the C.O.A. meeting and are attempting to obatin a
scientific permit that would cover all attending the conference, but that's
not a certain thing as of now.

Sorry for the bad news - Washington USED to be a great place to collect
shells.

Tom Rice