From:
jan neefs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2001 23:33:08 +0200
Hello you all ,
Last year we had a holiday in Menorca , that is one of the Spanish Balearic
Islands . there I saw for the first time ever in a posidonia field some
30-40 ! living species of the Pinna nobilis in  3-5mtr deep water , some
100/150 meters off beach, but near rocks , and above these rocks there were
appartments , restaurants etc. Did you know , that inside these wonderfull
"mussels" there lives some lobster like creature as a sort of parasite ?
Does anyone know if this occurs in other Pinna  species too ?
I must confess I took 3 with me for my own collection .One was very small ,
some 10 cm with very long spines . I know it was illegal to take them home
with me , but I simply could not resist  these shells to leave them lying
dead . I simply know , that if I didn't took them , somebody else certainly
will .These specimens will be looked after very good , and are a good memory
for the best holiday ever I had over there .That doesn't justify my actually
taking them , but I will never sell these beauties , or exchange them , for
they are very precious to me . If I was very greedy I could take them all
for there was no checking at the airport at all .Despite of the fact I took
three sp. home I think I have a good  common sense of letting the other
species rest .
What would you do in my situation as a shell-collector?letting them , or
take one or two?

I wrote this just to let you all know how I felt , and still feel about this
protection of endangered species .
The Cypraea's are the very same , but I will not take every species I 'll
encounter , just take for my own collection .

until another time , Jan Neefs