From:
"Mary E. Canada" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 10:38:42 -0500
I am trying to understand how one goes about cataloging a collection and
have a question for the list.  Is there an "official" numbering system that
is agreed upon by all or does everyone just make up a database for their
particular collection?  From what I have read in the archives, my
understanding is that each individual creates his/her own unique set of
alpha/numerical values.  Is there a reason that these numbering systems are
not standardized?  I would think that a standard numbering system would
eliminate many of the problems encountered when an individual's data key to
the collection is lost or inadvertently thrown away when the collection
is passed along to others.  Since taxonomy is so precise, it seems only
logical, to me at least, that a systematic numbering system could be created
and accepted as an international standard as well. I know that I am probably
taking a simplistic view of the problem, but I am baffled and confused by
this lack of a standard system.

Thank you for any help and clarification you can give me on this issue.
Mary Canada