From:
Katherine Szabo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2001 12:35:10 +1300
Gidday from Australia,

I have a question regarding the genus Anadara.  As an archaeo-malocologist
working in the tropical Pacific I deal with Anadara by the tonne - though
there seems to be some confusion regarding Anadara antiquata versus Anadara
scapha.  Cernohorsky (1972) states that 'scapha' is a subspecies of
'antiquata', however other authors (e.g. Abbot and Dance 1982) separate them
into two species.  What is the current thinking on this?  If they are two
separate species, how does one distinguish one from the other?

Thanks

Kath.

Katherine Szabo
Archaeology and Natural History
Research School of Pacific and Asian Studies
Australian National University
Canberra ACT 0200
Australia