From:
William Corey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Dec 2001 14:59:51 EST
To Mr. David Kirsh,
            Although I started noticing and collecting shells when I was 12
years old, I did not begin to make a serious collection until 1997.  As it
was a new collection and not yet organized in its final form, until recently,
I did not think it would be interesting enough for seasoned collectors to
view.  Now it is a rather substantial collection with many rarities and a
history including a few shell collecting yarns.  Yet, no one has come.  But
this is because no one knows about my collection, which brings me to my main
point.  Unless a collector makes it known that he or she has a collection
available to share with other collectors (as you have just done) and makes an
invitation to other shell collectors to visit, it is unlikely that anyone
will know of the opportunity to view your shells.  Shell clubs and shows, as
you already know, present another opportunity to share what you have and
learn about what others have to share.
        There is another way.  If it is difficult to bring the collectors to
the collection, one can bring the collection to the collectors as in the case
of the wonderful collection of
Conidae assembled by Mr. Giancarlo Paganelli
(http://www.coneshell.net/index.html) ,
Mitridae and Costellariidae by Mr. Emmanuel Guillot de Suduiraut
(http://www.channel-one-ph.net/eurasiashells/mitroidea/index.html) and the
Gallery of shell images by George Sangiouloglou
(http://www.geocities.com/~sangioul/ind.html), to mention a few.  The
Internet has made it possible for everyone who wants to share their
collection with collectors all over the world, to do so.
        What is required is some expertise in creating the images and
developing a format on one's own website.  I have thought about doing this,
recently, but I have never done it before and need to learn more about the
technical aspects.  Perhaps some of the readers out there know how to do this
and can provide references and/or instructions for how to create a website to
display specimen shells in a collection.  Of course one does not need to
create an entire site to share ones collection.  I have scanned many of my
shells and filed them away to attach as e-mails to interested people.  This
is easy, inexpensive and fun.
         I would like to know about your collection and invite other
collectors who like to talk about their collections to e-mail me.  If you
have a favorite Family or specimens with which you are especially satisfied,
I'd like to hear about that.
         So, David, I advise you to put up an extra pot of coffee.  I think
you are going to have a few visitors soon.  Take Care......wil