From:
Amy Lyn Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 May 1998 13:11:01 -0400
I am forwarding this email announcement that appeared on the mollusca list,
for those of you who are not subscribed to that list.
Amy

>Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 08:51:13 -0700
>Sender: [log in to unmask]
>From: "David G. Robinson" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Multiple recipients of list <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Importation of Helicidae into the US
>
>To any interested parties:
>
>The United States Department of Agriculture is reviewing its policies and
>importation requirements concerning species of Helicidae.  Five species are
>currently eligible for live importation under permit:  Cryptomphalus
>aspersus (Mueller), Cantareus apertus (Born), Helix pomatia  Linne, Eobania
>vermiculata (Mueller), and Otala lactea (Mueller).
>
>In order to make this review as comprehensive and with as scientific a base
>as possible,  we are asking input from anyone involved in malacology in the
>following areas:
>
>1.  The known occurrence of EXTANT populations of any of these species in
>the United States.  For example, despite a published report of one of these
>species in a particular state, that population may longer be surviving
>there today.
>
>2.  Is there any PUBLISHED evidence on whether  Cantareus apertus, Helix
>pomatia, Otala lactea, Otala punctata, Eobania vermiculata, or any other
>Otala or Helix species are agricultural or horticultural pests,  or could
>negatively affect on native endangered mollusk species ?
>
>3.  Is there any PUBLISHED evidence of the efficacy of  Rumina decollata in
>controlling  Cryptomphalus aspersus (or any other helicid), or on its own
>effects, direct or indirect, on native species, local agriculture or
>horticulture, in the US or anywhere else in the world ?
>
>This information is required in order to determine whether modification of
>US importation policies of these species is required, particularly within
>the parameters of existing trade agreements (WTO, NAFTA, etc.)
>
>Please cross-post to other lists if you deem it appropriate.  Please send
>any responses directly to me, by e-mail, phone or fax.  Thanks in advance
>for any input.
>

>-------------------------------
>Dr.  David G. Robinson
>USDA APHIS PPQ / Malacology
>Academy of Natural Sciences
>1900 Benjamin Franklin Parkway
>Philadelphia,  PA  19103
>Ph.:  (215) 299-1175
>Fx.:  (215) 299-1170

Amy Edwards, Program Coordinator ------ [log in to unmask]

Museum of Natural History        --------        phone (706) 542-4137
University of Georgia            --------            FAX 706-542-3920
Athens, GA 30602-1882       --------       http://museum.nhm.uga.edu/
"A man's mind, stretched by new ideas, can never go back to its original
dimensions."             Oliver Wendell Holmes