Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 02:58:26 EST
In a message dated 1/23/02 5:13:58 PM EST, [log in to unmask] writes:

<<
 I'm teaching a class where we're having the students
 learn about diversity by identifying and comparing sea
 shells.  Any tips would be appreciated.

 Malia Somerville
 Teaching Assistant
 American Unvieristy
 Washington, DC

 ____________________ >>
Dear Malia,
  Having taught some children about names I have this advice. Don't have too
many shells at any one time, but I believe that if you explain about the
first and last names of their friends and compare to the last names first
(Genus) and the first names last (species) of shells, you may get them to
understand. I have been in classrooms where each child had a name that was
never even heard of when I went to school, Moisha, Shanna, etc. but the
children seem to learn their friends' names. So repetition and familiarity
will become easier for them with shells. I will bow to brighter minds than
mine, but I don't know how you could have a key without some small knowledge
of families.
        Carole Marshall
         Lake Worth, Fl.