From:
Patty Jansen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 22:41:23 +1100
Dear all,

the Trochidae is a family that has interested me for many years. I have a
list with about 1200 'species' names (probably likely to be revised upwards
in the future). As such, the family is probably one of the largest
molluscan families. Many are rare or come from deep water, but many others
are extremely common intertidally. I would be interested to know which
species of Trochidae are most common around in each of the zoogeographical
provinces. I hardly think there are any areas from which they are entirely
absent? Do the common species all have certain things in common? I feel
that probably the most common species are of the Gibbula/
Monodonta/Tegula-type, is this so?

Patty

P.S. This is kind-of NSR, but I had to mention it. Old-timers may remember
10 September 1996 was the day the first baby was born to a list member
(myself to be precise). Well, time has flown since than and our son Jordy,
now aged five, went to big school this week! To me it signifies the
coming-of-age of this list - it's been at least two years or more since the
thought of quitting it has crossed my mind. Thanks to all of you!