Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 09:33:54 +0100
I will tell you about my experience with Israel: some
time ago I asked information about shelling there.  As
it has been confirmed on this list too, in Israel you
can't collect any species anywhere.  I think this is a
very good example of an excessive ban.  Moreover, I
asked to local authorities if and how a permit could be
obtained.
The answer was that I could apply for a permit if I was
working on the behalf of an istitution.  This
practically cuts off most if not all of the private
collectors.
Moreover, half (yes, I said half) of the collected
material should be sent to an israeli institution.
I think this is a very good way of avoiding collecting
in Israel and at the same time a good way to avoid
knowledge of israeli shells and contacts with local
collectors: how many times in the occasion of a trip
somewhere you get in touch with local collectors and
make new friends?
Moreover the israeli malacofauna is interesting because
of many lessepsian migrants into the Mediterranean.

Moreover I also heard, but of this I do not have
personal experience, that even in places like Sharm el-
Sheikh (Sinai, Egypt) you can not fly away with shells
in your luggage.
Apart for the restrictions in Ras Muhammad marine park,
you are likely to have troubles if shells are found in
your luggage when cheching in at the airport wherever
you collected them.
Even if in such a touristic locality a good
regulamentation is needed to avoid overexploiting of
reefs even by hand of tourists looking for a souvenir,
it is quite disappointing for serious collectors
looking for non-destructive shelling.
I heard the same about Hurghada (Egypt) and about
Maldives (Indian Ocean).
I would be grateful to anyone who may confirm or
correct or add details on what I wrote, especially if
you had personal experiences.

Thanks,
Paolo

Paolo Giulio ALBANO