Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 17:56:49 -0500
>Dr. Campbell,
>
>I had read that the "Royal Purple" is a good deal more reddish
>than what we modernly identify as purple.   Is there any truth
>to this?
>
>Thanks,
>Linda

Another post noted that the color of muricid-dyed cloth is affected by the choice of species and the dyeing process.  In addition, different cultures have differing standards of what constitutes a significant difference in colors.  Even in everyday conversation, I find that my opinion of whether something is red or blue or purple does not precisely match someone else's definition.  You have probably encountered a description of a shell where the author's description of the color is not how you would describe it, even though you refer to the same individual.  The problem is much greater when referring to ancient writers.  For example, if you compare two translations of the Bible you will probably find some colors translated differently.  Thus, it is difficult to be certain what color we would call cloth identified as purple by ancient writers.  It is probably safe to say that it would have included colors more reddish than standard purple of today, but not to say that it was always more reddish.  The issue is not just a pigment of your imagination.

    Dr. David Campbell
    Old Seashells
    46860 Hilton Dr #1113
    Lexington Park MD 20653 USA

That is Uncle Joe, taken in the masonic regalia of a Grand Exalted Periwinkle of the Mystic Order of Whelks-P.G. Wodehouse, Romance at Droigate Spa