From:
Bill Fenzan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 17:56:24 -0400
Dear Cecil & Bill,

After looking at the picture, I would say the best name for your specimen
is: Conus consors Sowerby I, 1833, forma turschi da Motta1985.  Conus
turschi was originally described from Thailand as a separate species.  Over
time the shell was found elsewhere.  In the Philippines, specimens of both
typical C. consors and the C. turschi form both turn up.

In my opinion, your shell is not Conus flavus.  I have a few specimens of
that species and all have the deep orange aperture color you mention.  I
also have several Conus ochroleucus, forma tmetus (formerly C. pilkeyi) and
they all have orange apertures, too.  Also, the forma tmetus has not been
reported from the Philippines at all.  Unusally, it is reported from the
Solomon Is.  I have specimens from there and also Fiji.  Contact me
privately if you want more information, jpgs of specimens in my collection,
etc.

For Bill Frank:  I think the answer to your question is unfathomable.  :-)

Warm regards,

Bill

William J. Fenzan
401 Sinclair St.