From:
Scott Schubbe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 May 1998 21:20:23 EDT
I know how frustrating it is, now that the S. gigas has again regained a
prominent foothold in many areas, that we collectors can't even take just one.
Maybe one day by some miracle, serious collectors (with proof of club or
organizational membership), will be allowed a yearly conch or two by permit
only. But until that time, I am ever gratefull that something was done to save
this geat mollusk. The saddest word in the world to me is extinct. If the
people who place these bans into effect can realize  that pollution is the
major threat to our shells and not collectors, something not as drastic can be
implemented. I've heard stories of everywhere in south Florida there were
roadside stands of conch shells for sale years ago. No doubt it was probably
the #1 souveneir, but if the permit for collectors only could be implemented,
just how many would really be taken? Maybe half a percent of the total
population-if that many? Just a thought---Scott