From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jun 2002 22:43:20 +1200
Hi Ross

>         This discussion of fading pigments brings to mind a very
>beautiful, but
>quite transient form of Neptunea lyrata decemcostata that dwell off SW
>Nova Scotia - German and Browns Banks mostly.  When live, and for a
>short time afterwards, they are a positively EXQUISITE  pastel violet
>color all over.  This pigment, alas, is quite unstable, and even when
>cleaned using water only and kept in the dark, this lovely violet shade
>fades to a dull light yellow over time.  Wish i had a photo of this form
>in all its glory - it is quite something!  (does anyone know if N.
>lyrata s.s. has a corresponding color form, by the way?)

Now that would be nice to see! Never heard of such a color in
Neptunea. This may be a related pigment to that of the New Zealand
Exilia.

>         There are also beautiful turquoise forms of our local Tonicella spp -
>ruber and marmoreus.

I collected a specimen of T. lineata, a big and really nice one, in
Victoria. It had tents of dark green superimposed on the lines, and
there were hints of turquoise between the dark red lines. I don't
think these faded, even though the specimen wasn't kept in the dark
(though it has now been in the dark since 1983 or so, packed away!).

>From the land that got up over 70 F for the first time this year twice
>this week!!,
>Ross M.

Here in Dunedin we had an Antarctic blast recently, with snow for a
few days. Even a little snow (say 3cm) can paralyze a New Zealand
area; folk here have no idea how to drive on it! The police will
block a road which is perfectly passable to suitable vehicles (eg FWD
diesels, 4WDs) with penalties if you're caught ignoring the closure...
--
Andrew Grebneff
165 Evans St, Dunedin 9001, New Zealand