From:
Ringwald Fabien <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jun 2002 01:03:37 +0200
Hi!

(thank you very much for your answer Barbara)

I will particularly look for soon-to-be described
Cypraea brasilensis (as a valid species : see,
soon-to-be-published Lorenz book). David Touitou and I
found several specimens in Martinique(extending its
range of distribution) last March : we put some photos
of the living thing on his website
(www.seashell-collector.com). Hope I will find some in
Republica Dominicana. However, even if I don't find
any, doesn't matter : my goal is to establish the
distribution range of brasilensis.

Second species I'll be looking for : C. surinamensis.
My idea is that C. surinamensis has to be further
studied. I believe that there may be several
geographic formae. At the present time, somebody who
knows very well the species can tell you wether a
specimen comes from Brasil, Colombia/Mexico, west
indies, Cuba or Florida, just looking at the shell. I
managed to find one living specimen in March (Great
news : Mike Meyers managed to do the ADN analysis of
it!) and it would be great to find another one in
Republica Dominicana : ADN analysis will confirm or
not my suspicions.

Last (but not least) : conidae which I believe are not
very well-known in this part of the world...

Waiting for your answers!

thanx

                   Fabien