Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 12:17:29 -0400
In the good ol' U.S. of A. we have the following museums:

Oldest and largest molluscan collections in U.S.A. (a few million cataloged
specimens - maybe their curators can verify the number of cataloged lots)

OLDEST:
Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia

LARGEST:
Smithsonian Institution, National Museum of Natural History, Washington,
D.C.

EQUALLY IMPORTANT:
American Museum of Natural History, New York City
Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massechusetts

OTHER IMPORTANT & FAMOUS MOLLUSCAN COLLECTIONS ARE HOUSED AT THESE
INSTITUTIONS - more than 100,000 catalogued specimens and with important
regional holdings (not listed in any particular order):

  Field Museum of Natural History, Chicago
  Florida Museum of Natural History, Gainsville
  Bishop Museum (The State Museum of Natural and Cultural History), Honolulu
  California Academy of Sciences, Natural History Museum, San Francisco
  Carnegie Museum of Natural History, Pittsburgh
  Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History
  Illinois Natural History Survey Mollusk Collection, Champaign, Illinois

All of the above institutions are actively involved in invertebrate -
molluscan -  paleontological research. Sorry if I've left off any
institutions from this list.  These are the one's that immediately come to
mind.

Rich
worldwideconchology.com
http://www.worldwideconchology.com