Date:
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 14:42:26 -0400
George, Alfonso, and Conch-L'ers,

The names Powis and Powys are associated with Powis Castle, Powys County
(formerly Breconshire, Montgomeryshire and Radnorshire), Principality of
Wales, U.K.  There is a long Powys family lineage from this Welch region.

The name spelling should be Powys [as in Nassarius festivus (Powys, 1835),
Nassarius concinnus (Powys, 1835), Nassarius dentifer (Powys, 1835),
Tritonoturris cumingii (Powys, 1835), etc.]

Someplace I read that the species names such as Tibia powisi and others may
have honored Thomas Littleton Powys, and ornithologist in the mid-1800's (
http://www.hamal.demon.co.uk/lilford.htm ).  But I do not think T.L. Powys
is the same person who described these species (Powys, 1835) since T.L. was
born in 1833.  He would have been 2 years old at the time.  Not likely!
Lord William Lyttleton (Littleton) Powys may be the person associated with
the nomenclature.

Ultimately, I'm not sure if the spelling Powys and Powis represent regional
spellings.  Can anyone add to this information?

Rich
worldwideconchology.com