From:
Ross Mayhew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 01:52:47 +0000
Peter, you have a series of Zostera-dwelling beasties down as Lottia
alveus on your nice website.  These are testudininalis - i think the
nominate variety, although that is not "supposed" to occur on your
coast.  I have virtually identical specimens from Zostera in Nova
Scotia: it is a specialized version that dwells on eel grass - elongated
and smaller, more delicate than the normal population.  Actually, i am
uncertain whether they are a distinct population, or just individuals
who settled on the Zostera when young, and just adopted charactaristics
that would be condusive to living in that habitat, grazing on the algae
that cover the grass.  I am convinced alveus is actually extinct, as
most malacologist over here believe.

Your unidentified Pecten i believe is Delectopecten vancouverensis
Whiteaves, 1893 - otherwise known as tillamookensis and several other
synonyms, since it is quite variable.   The Cardiid is very interesting
- why not send a photo of it to Scott and/or Coan - or better yet get
their bivalve book!  I can find out where to get this excellent
referrence book for you, if you like.