From:
Constantine Mifsud <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 18:32:16 +0100
Monfils, Paul wrote:

> Why would small, empty shells need a preservative?  They keep very well in
> the dry state, if protected from moisture.  Glycerine is very viscous, and
> would be very difficult to apply to small shells in its undiluted state.
> (Or, are you thinking of immersing the shells in vials of glycerine and
> storing them that way? If so, what is your intended purpose?)

When one has a single or two specimens of an extraordinary rarity "diseases"
usually come to mind. In some cases I keep a rare shell immersed in a droplet of
oil or silicon and sealed in a vial. It is difficult to bring out and study and
may take some time. However, it is the only way I feel safe with such specimens.
After many years, I have seen small shells in a state of powder or totally
coated with "salts", while in glass vials even after rinsing in distilled water
and drying. This is especially so for specimens coming from Atlantic waters.
So I am still trying out methods. I have to give liquid paraffin a try.

--
Constantine Mifsud,
4, Shepherds' Str.,