From:
Allen Aigen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 14:32:13 GMT
Ross, Jim,
It is a very good question.  The barriers to species with planktonic larvae may include distance (depending on how long they can stay in the plankton without settling down), water temperature, appropriate bottom conditions upon arrival and current patterns.  Species like Turbinella angulata, which has crawl away larvae and apparently cannot cross bathyl depths, are more difficult to disperse.  It is a not uncommon early to late Pleistocene fossil in Florida and may have crossed over the Florida Straits from (to?) the Bahamas during a very low water period corresponding to intense glaciation.  It may have come via the Yucatan, which seems to have a good connection with Florida via the Keys, again, perhaps, at low water times.  What the connection is between the Yucatan and the Bahamas is less clear.
Allen Aigen