From:
Kevin Lamprell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 16:16:50 +1000
----- Original Message -----
From: "bernardino" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sunday, December 15, 2002 3:47 AM
Subject: Re: R: filed lip

> Overcollecting? It was never proved that collecting has ever made any
> seashell extinct. Overfishing, Pollution, and Man predation for food in
the
> reefs may have an impact thousands times larger.I remember several years
ago
> I was in a trip in an island off Venezuela and the guide has forbbiden any
> shell collecting because of pr eservation of species but when walking
around
> the island we found tons of oysters openned by local fishermen looking for
> pearls, because they need to survive this was allowed by
> authorities( ! )Australian authorities also control shell collecting but
> made some mammals extint because of "wise measures" and everyone knows
what
> happened with hawaian snails. Collectors are often victims of
fundamentalism
> of authorities but some of these close their eyes when fishermen use bombs
> or poison to catch fish.
>
> Every collector has the moral right to get better specimens for his
> collection
>
> Bernardino

Rubbish Bernardino, there are many instances to disprove your theory, while
many of your early statements are correct and economics do come into
overcollecting, these are edible items and can and are grown commercially.
We have many instances in Australia where overcollecting has reduced
littoral zones to barren wastes, destroyed habitat, completely devoid of
shell. Your remarks re having the moral right etc may be misinterpreted by
me, men once considered they had the right to better specimens of elephant
tusks, others slaves, is this what you mean? I am approaching later years
and I am yet to be enlightened as to what
mammals became extinct by our authorites.
Kev