From:
Date:
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 16:29:12 -0700
To add to Dave Campbell's exceptions, we can include the Neritidae.  A study
by Gainey and Wise (1980) of Nerita tesselata and Nerita versicolor found
that although the original embryonic and larval shells (protoconch) are
constructed solely of aragonite, shell secreted by the mantel after the
protoconch is a multi-layered affair with an aragonite layer of complex
crossed lamellar crystals on the inside, an middle aragonite layer of
crossed lamellar crystals, and a calcite outer prismatic layer.  The outer
calcite layer is very thin, most of the shell is still aragonite.

And on the dangers of bleach.  Hear! Hear!  I have ruined several shirts
because I was just going to drop one shell into bleach and I knew I could do
it without a splash - ha!  Also, I second Andrew's comments on it not doing
harm to all but a few shells.  I have forgotten murex, cones, and nerotes in
a 50% solution (or higher) of bleach for almost a month with no ill effect.
However, I wouldn't make it a practice.

Tom E.