From:
David Kirsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 19:06:32 -0500
Hey Linda,
There's a hard plastic lens that's on a band and fits around your head. It's
available at hobby shops for between $9 and $15 and magnifies 4x (I think). I
use it all the time for beach drift. The lens is stereo and indestructible
(what it's mounted to is not).

Major disadvantage on the beach is that I've got to hunch over in
uncomfortable positions in order to be in focus. In the house, I can raise the
table surface, hunch over, or pick the specimen up.

I was looking into stereoscopes for a while but I couldn't see paying so much.
Now I just got a Fuji S1 digital camera that should be quite an aid to
magnifying and identifying specimens. The Fuji attaches to Nikon lenses that I
have arranged for macro photography.

David Kirsh
Durham, NC