From:
Bob Abela <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 18:01:57 +1000
Dear Conch-L member's,

I've recently placed two specimens of Terebellum terebellum in one of my
small aquariums. I have observed first hand the forward motion accounted
by Peter Jung and R. Tucker Abbott in "The Genus Terebellum (Gastropoda:
Strombidae)", Indo-Pacific Mollusca, vol 1, no. 7, May 15, 1967. It is
interesting to observe how the probiscus pokes a hole at the surface of
the sand, withdraws, and then an eyestalk emerges in its place. The
probiscus is fairly typical of strombids, but it is bizarre to watch as
it probes over the sand while all else that is exposed is just one or
two eyestalks, extended like little periscopes. If you didn't know what
you were looking at from above, especially while diving, you'd likely
never notice the eyes and the probiscus would resemble a weird green
worm.

It's a wary creature too. The slightest hint of danger, and it quickly
withdraws into the sand. If startled,
it may kick and propel itself backwards a few inches. As many of you may
know from collecting experiences, they can be something of an escape
artist. They are powerful and quick swimmers, generally going short
distances, and then swiftly diving back into the sand and out of sight!

I am in the process of photographing these guys. If I get satisfactory
results, I will be sure to post them on my website but, honestly, such
observations to record without the aid of video. That's about it...just
wanted to share in my fascination.

Cheers,

Bob Abela
Tamuning, Guam