Date:
Sat, 10 May 2003 18:54:25 -0400
   Yes! That's what I meant. I know that if they "see" they would see sand, mud, and the occasional diver's foot. What I am interested in is the visual accuity of mollusks. Do Cone "see"? Do Olives? Do any of them see more than light and dark, or general shapes?
   In my fish tank, I have a (not quite united) pair of fiddler crabs, They have eye stalks. The male finds a nice high place and brandishes his lovely, shiny, large right pincer like a beacon. I would assume that the female can "see" this from some distance.
   Otherwise: Cincinnati has had a real "frog-strangler" day. Rain turning creeks into bona-fide rivers, noisy storms, flooding, hail, tornado watches. All that good stuff.
    Art

> From: "Thomas E. Eichhorst" <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: 2003/05/10 Sat PM 01:57:48 EDT
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: eyes
>
> I haven't a clue, but always an opinion!  I would bet octopus and squid do
> not have optical sensors in their skin as they have very advanced eyes and
> most likely use their eyes for this purpose.  On the other hand, nerites
> have "closed eyes" that probably do not see much more than light and dark
> shapes.  These combined with their other senses, including the optically
> sensitive dark areas on their skin, still leaves them far short of the
> visual acuity of cephalopods.  The difference here is a group of mollusks
> (octopus and squids) that are active hunters with great mobility.  On the
> other hand you have the neritids who are heavily armored grazers that depend
> upon a number of defensive mechanisms that all added up pretty much equal
> "hunker down."  No need for great visual acuity there.
>
> Tom E

PLEASE NOTE: My new, long-term, and correct email address is: [log in to unmask] Please update your records!