From:
Ross Mayhew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 May 2003 01:53:14 +0000
Jordan Star asks:

A college friend, shell collector, former Am. Conch. art editor
> buys shells on eBay auctions.  Are the shells any good?  Data good?

I have had extensive and at times expensive experiences in this
endeavor, and can only advise: be careful and proceed cautiously and
sensibly.   A couple of eBay shell dealers are completely tops, except
for the nearly ubiquitous overgrading (hard to believe there are so many
perfect shells out there: in my books, "Gem" shells are a) perfect to
the unaided eye, and b) Quite rare!!).  Others are, to be kind, of
uneven quality both conchologically and by way of service quality:
sometimes everything goes splendidly and you get what you expected with
no hassles, while at other times it is a rocky road with a pile of junk
at the end.  Check the rating comments, ask friends who also purchase
from via this method, etc.  A good tip: if you do get rooked, a stated
intention to leave negative feedback will often work wonders....

From the now unfrozen but still pretty chilly North,
Ross M.