From:
Jenny Scarboro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 07:29:26 -0500
When I'm the field, I might put on camouflage face paint and fatigues...
but I also stick branches and leaves in my helmet band -- if I want to
really blend in.  Maybe Xenophora have a paranoid streak?  ("Everybody can
still see me!!  Better cover up some more!  I'm never safe!")  Could be
they should be called Xenophoba.

Then again maybe they are into exterior decoration.  :P  "Ah, dahling, you
look mahvelous in the green..."

Here's a frivolous linguistic question for our taxonomic word-smiths:

Given that the words "specie" and "species" have two very different
meanings (the former being a technical term for currency), what is the
divergence in their linguistic development?  One missing letter makes quite
a difference.  Did the two derive from the same root or even the same
language?  Is it just a coincidence?

Might be a better question for "English-L" or Webster, but I bet someone
here has a theory.

Jenny