From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 07:02:32 +1200
>What in the world is an "Ewig's Gastroverm"?  It is mentioned as
>occuring down to 20,000 feet on a COA page of Extreme Molluscan Facts.
>Funny thing is, the only other place i can find it -  or "gastroverm"
>for that matter - is where i copied this factoid while tuning up a Man
>and Mollusc page: http://manandmollusc.net/amazing_facts.html - a bit
>too circular for my comfort!!
>
>From the Still-chilly-but-not-quite-frozen (except in Northern New
>Brunswick, ie) North (all the way up to 7 C this morning!!),
>Ross M.

Ross, it's a member of class Monoplacophora. Vema ewingi if I
remember correctly (other living genera are Neopilina,
Monoplacophorus and Laevipilina).

Living members of this class are rare, though new species do turn
up... NZ has a couple of named Laevipilina species from shallow water
(ie less than abyssal), and I keep hoping to turn some up in
upper-bathyal dredgings.
--
Andrew Grebneff
165 Evans St, Dunedin, New Zealand