From:
Pasquale Fazzini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jun 1998 00:25:01 +0200
At 16.02 19/06/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Does anyone know how to order the Russian journal, Ruthenica? I have had a
>query about it and, amazingly enough, I can't find anything about it in
>this pile of papers by which I am being subsumed.
>
>Lynn Scheu

Dear Lynn,
I found this:
Perestroika resulted in a substantial, if not catastrophic, reduction in
the financing of science in the USSR which has led to a decrease in
malacological activity. However Russian malacologists have managed not only
to survive, but to continue their activities. At the last All-Union meeting
(1991), the Malacological Society was established. Surprisingly, it is the
first malacological society in the history of Russia. In the same year,
independently from the establishment of the society, 'Ruthenica, Russian
Malacological Journal' was started (Editor-in-chief - Dr. Kir Nesis,
Associate Editors - Drs. D.L.Ivanov, Yu.I.Kantor, A.A.Schileyko and
A.V.Sysoev). The journal, published twice a year, was the first bi-lingual
scientific journal in Russia. It is mainly published in English, with
bilingual figure captions, abstracts and descriptions of new taxa. At
present Vol. 6, No. 2 is in preparation. Although 'Ruthenica' does not
officially belong to the Society, the Editorial Board works in close
co-operation with the Society Council (the Editor-in-Chief and one
Associate Editor are currently the Vice-Presidents of the Society).
The newly established Malacological Society (President - Prof. Ya.I.
Starobogatov) held two meetings, in 1994 under the title 'Morphological
basis for systematics and phylogeny of molluscs and in 1995 'Molluscs of
Russia and adjacent countries and seas', dedicated to the memory of the
late Academician O.A.Scarlato. The abstracts of the latter meeting were
published in 'Ruthenica' (Vol. 6, No. 1). In November 1994 the Far-Eastern
Malacological Society (President A.I. Kafanov) was organised in the
Institute of Marine Biology in Vladivostok. The society has not yet
produced any publications, although a volume is now in press.
After the splitting up of the USSR, four main centres of malacological
studies of Recent molluscs remained in Russia: in Moscow (malacologists
from different Institutes, grouped around 'Ruthenica'), St.Petersburg
(mainly the Zoological Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences),
Vladivostok (Institute of Marine Biology and Pacific Research Center of
Fisheries and Oceanography) and Kaliningrad (the Atlantic Institute of
Fisheries and Oceanography - only cephalopod studies). Beside these main
centers many malacologists work in other places. Of the former republics of
the USSR, there is still some malacological activity in Ukraine (Institute
of Zoology, Kiev; Institue of the Biology of Southers seas, Sebastopol).
Ukranian colleagues deal mainly with freshwater molluscs and molluscs of
the Black Sea fauna. Some malacological (palaeontological and
neontological) books continue to be published. The most important of these
are reviewed in 'Ruthenica'.
Additional information is available from Dr. Yu.I.Kantor [email:
[log in to unmask]] or A.N.Severtzov; Institute of Problems of
Evolution, Lenin Av. 33, Moscow 117071, Russia..
I hope Dr Kantor can give you the informations you need.
Sincerely
Pasquale Fazzini
CYPRAEIDAE
http://members.xoom.com/cypraea/index.htm