From:
Joyce Matthys <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Sep 2003 13:54:02 EDT
Hello, Nancy!

My husband Ken and I live in Oregon but each fall we hook up our RV and drive
3,984 miles so we spend our winters on Sanibel walking the beaches in search
of perfect shells.  I thought I would let you know where we do our shell
collecting.  If you are staying on Sanibel, chances are that you will be able to
walk to the beach to do your collecting.  Depending on the winds and tides there
are certain places where collecting seems to be better.

First of all, public parking can be found in at number of beaches but it is
metered paid parking.  This past winter and spring we found that the best
shelling has been at Gulfside City Park on Algeries St. and the beach on the gulf
at the end of Tarpon Bay Road.  Gulfside City Park has parking in the park and
there is parking on Tarpon Bay Road a short walk from the beach.  When
shelling at both place you can go to either the left or the right when you get to the
beach for collecting.  We always go shelling about an hour before the morning
low tide.  Sometimes this means taking flashlights because it is before dawn.
 And, be prepared for some awesome sunrises.  My husband is the "expert shell
collector" while I spend most of my time videotaping live mollusks.

If you are staying on the island, I would suggest renting bicycles so that
you have access to the many beaches where parking is reserved for people who
purchase annual parking stickers.  These parking areas are noted with signs that
indicate "A & B parking permits only".  The beaches with restricted parking
where we shell are at the end of Nerita St. and another is at the end Fulgur.
If you have bicycles, you can ride towards the west end of West Gulf Dr. and
walk your bikes down to the beach via the beach accesses.

You will be able to get a map that shows the rest of the public beaches.  I
would suggest checking them all out.  If you go to Bowman's Beach, walk to the
right.  There are usually some large banks of shells there.  Also plan to stop
in at "The Bait Box" across from the Dairy Queen to pick up a good tide chart.

A visit to Blind Pass (between Sanibel and Captiva) is a spot to check out.
Walk to the left down to where you see the dead trees meeting the water's
edge.  It is also a nice place to watch the sunset.  Of course, "the thing to do"
is to watch the sunset at The Mucky Duck on Captiva but plan to get there
early because parking is very limited.

Be sure to visit the Bailey-Matthews Shell Museum.  Not only does it have a
wonderful display of shells that you can expect to find on Sanibel, but it
features exhibits of shells from around the world.  If you are a member of a shell
club or COA have your membership card with you.  They may have a special rate
for you.  Take time to watch the 30 minute video "Mollusks in Action" while
you are at the museum.  I filmed these very active creatures on Sanibel's
beaches and mud flats.  Besides their anatomy, you learn about their methods of
locomotion, what they eat, how they protect themselves and how they reproduce.

Well, have a great time on Sanibel!  Our friends think we are a bit crazy for
driving such a long ways when Arizona and California are so much closer but
Sanibel is a bit of paradise.  I am sure you will know what I mean when you
drive across the causeway to the island.  There are few street lights and no stop
lights.  No building can be taller than the natural foliage which is 40' so
there are not high-rise condos, etc., and it has more excellent restaurants per
square mile than anywhere else in the world.

Joyce Matthys
Salem, Oregon