From:
lindawbush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Oct 2003 11:04:41 -0400
Hello, CONCH-Lers!

O.K., I've got another puzzling shell - if I took the
perio. off, I could probably identify it easier, but then
someone in the club might want it with the periostracum
intact.  I have been able to narrow it down to the genus
Fusitriton.  My problem is that the varices are not just
rounded projections, they protrude and are concave on the
growing side, so that one could stick a pencil or
something slightly bigger under them.  The periostracum is
chocolate brown and somewhat hairy.  I cannot find an
image that looks as if it has these definitive varices.

Ideas, anyone?

Thanks,
Linda