From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Dec 2003 15:12:18 +1300
>Dear Paolo,
>
>You can find the answer in Dance (1986): A history of shell collecting, p.
>234:
>Bruguiere, J.G., 1792. Encyclopedie methodique, Histoire naturelle des Vers,
>Vol. 1 [including Conus which Bruguiere acknowledges to be the work of
>Hwass], i.e. Hwass was responsible for the chapter on Conus in the book
>otherwise written by Bruguiere.
>Best regards,
>Henk K. Mienis

Yes, sometimes a larger work by one named author incorporates a
chapter written by another author, whose name does not appear on the
cover.

For instance, Olsson & Harbison's 1953 "Pliocene Mollusca of Southern
Florida" does not show it on the cover, but contains chapters by
William fargo and H A Pilsbry, who describe new taxa such as
Pilsbry's Solariopsis basilissus. I guess the correct authorship for
this species would then be Solariopsis basilissus Pilsbry in Olsson &
Harbison 1953. Mins you, the authors atop each page are "Olsson,
Harbison, Fargo and Pilsbry", in which case, what authorship would be
correct?
--
Andrew Grebneff
Dunedin, New Zealand