From:
Ed Foster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 2004 17:43:59 -0500
Bert Bartleson asked:

>Hi fellow Conchlers,  After taking several years off, the Pacific
>Northwest Shell Club (PNWSC) has decided to once again begin
>offering club-sponsored trips to local beaches, fossil collecting
>sites, etc.
>
>At the January meeting there was considerable discussion by club
>members about the pros and cons of these activities.  One major
>concern was the potential liability to the PNWSC and the group
>leader/ officers.
>
>My question to other shell clubs and their officers is how do you
>deal with the issue of liability on club sponsored trips?  I think
>that a simple liability release form would work well.

Talk to a lawyer.  Release forms give some protection but they don't
guarantee it, and they're best drawn up by a lawyer.  A release form
won't prevent you from being sued and although it may help you win
the case, but you'll still spend a good deal of money defending
yourself even when you win.  Because of such potential costs many
(not necessarily shell) clubs offering activities carry insurance.

Here are a couple examples of waiver forms.  They're from non shell
clubs but they should still give you an idea of what's involved:

http://www.crw.org/ReleaseForm.htm

http://amcsem.org/pdf/waiverform.pdf

http://nbwclub.org/forms/Memb_form.pdf

Good luck!