From:
David Kirsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 2004 17:12:12 -0400
Hi Mindy,

"Shelling on Vieques"--that has a strong double meaning on the island, I suspect. The navy took over 2/3 of the island during WWII and bombarded it with all sorts of munitions until the islanders finally forced the navy's withdrawal a couple of years ago.

I was there in 1995. In fact, I stayed at Trade Winds. Pleasant enough. At that time, there were some decent beached shells right in front. I saw a reef in front of that but I didn't go snorkeling at the time there. I did snorkel on the north side next to the breakwater and saw a large moray. That's all I remember.

You can stop in at the Vieques Times, the bilingual monthly newsletter. just down the street from Tradewinds. Please say hello for me to Charlie and Myrna.

Best of luck,

David Kirsh
Durham, NC