From:
Kenneth Zentzis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jul 1998 15:26:31 -0500
Hello to all you Conch-L-ers!  I'll use this subject to introduce myself
since I have some input
on the matter.  My name is Ken Zentzis, and I've been a collector 24 of
my 38 years.  Areas of interest have included most of the popular
families over the years, and I've accumulated fairly complete
collections of Strombus, Oliva, with substantial inroads made into
Cypraea,          Terebra, Marginellidae, Fusinus, "Miters", et. al.
However, my true love in the hobby are the landshells.  I've not been
actively increasing my collection over the last few years (sometimes
work and family matters preclude spending time and $resources on the
hobby),
but fully one third of my collection consists of terrestrials and
arboreals.  My concentrations are in the many Philippine faunas, Liguus,
Megalobulimulidae, Pleurodonte,
Bulimulidae, Papuininae, Odontostomidae, Cyclophoridae, and more.  I
also collect U.S. species, and have raised Anguispira, Mesodon, a host
of micro-dudes, and others.  On the subject of shell-building mineral
needs for terrarium snails, I've tried many things and have found
cuttlebone to work best.  A close second would be a somewhat eroded
freshwater clam shell.  A big, thick, chalky valve from Amblema or
Megalonais has been a mainstay.  So not to distract from the atmosphere
of the terrarium, I mostly bury the shell in the substrate, leaving a
crescent exposed.  The snails often will burrow down and gather in the
body cavity of the clamshell and stay there for extended periods.  If
you listen closely, you can hear them rasping away.
It's great to be on board!!
Ken