From:
John Wolff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 2004 15:11:45 -0400
At 02:07 PM 10/7/2004, you wrote:
>Hello all:
>
>I would like to obtain information about a big Unionoid species: Cristaria
>hercules. Does anybody has information about habitat, distribution and
>where to find images or additional information in the net?
>
>I have seen several species of Unio with images and information but that
>species still eludes me. I have also seen some of them offered for sale on
>Conchology.be. but I am still curious about that species. Is that the
>largest Unionoid species?
>
>Well, thanks in advance,
>
>Juan Francisco.

Can't really answer your question, but I purchased a 262 mm one from Guido
Poppe in 1998 (it was cheaper back then). Unfortunately, I can testify that
it breaks when you drop it accidentally. I believe it is the largest
unionid, but I have no reference. I have never seen it advertised
elsewhere. I know two other collectors who have purchased them and were
thrilled.

John