From:
Timothy Blackwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Nov 2004 07:26:30 -0800
Hello,

     In my collection I have a specimen of Lambis digitata (Perry, 1811) from Zanzibar.  While
recently updating the taxonomy of my shells I came across the following web site:

www.chez.com/malacos/ACTUEXTN.HTM

It shows two specimens, one labeled as Lambis digitata (Perry 1811) and the second labeled as
Lambis digitata crocea (Reeve 1842).  After examining the pictured specimens I can see some
noticeable differences in the shells.  This brings me to my question(s).

1. Are two subspecies/forms of Lambis digitata recognized?

     and

2. What are the differences one should look at when making the distinction?

Distinguishing between subspecies is of special interest to me, so I thought I'd run this by our
resident Conch-L Strombidae experts.  Any help you can provide (written info, photos, article
reprints, article citations) will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you very much in advance.  I'll
look forward to hearing from you soon.  Bye for now. :)

Sincerely,
Tim Blackwood

=====
Timothy J. Blackwood