From:
David Kirsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 2004 10:09:27 -0500
Dear Cristian,

A coastal watch sounds like a terrific idea for the US. I don't know if there's anything like it in progress already.

From what I understand, many parts of Europe have instituted the Precautionary Principle as a standard. That means, for example, that a particular substance needs to be proven to be safe before being being manufactured, as opposed to the US standard whereby something must be proven dangerous before being withdrawn.

Here, the prevailing dogma is touted as "cost/benefit analysis," in which corporations do not have to give much thought to the cost of safe disposal of byproducts. If they want to treat the environment like a toilet bowl, that's their "right." If their effluents cause an upturn in cancer deaths 40 years later, the relatives of the dead are free to sue the corporations if they can prove causality.

San Francisco is one of the few US localities to utilize the Precautionary Principle. I think proponents of environmental conservation would do well to make this framework far more familiar during policy discussions in the US.

David Kirsh
Durham, NC