From:
Gary Rosenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jul 1998 16:21:06 -0400
In a previous message, I stated that the Academy of Natural Sciences had an
interest in the sale of the Leonard Hill Collection, because we were
bequeathed the Olividae, but before we can receive this bequest, the debts
of the estate must be settled.

Several people have told me privately that they were surprised that Len was
in debt. Having now received an official list of creditors, I can dispell
some of the rumors. The recorded debts totalled about $54,000. Creditors
include 3 credit card companies, 3 banks (I cannot tell if these are for
credit cards or for loans), the Miami Heart Institute, a hospital, two
physicians, a funeral home, Florida Power & Light Company, a Gerald Robinson
of Sebastopol, California, and Len's father, Leonard Hill, Jr.

Sale of Len's house netted about $30,000, which was deposited into the
estate account.  Thus the remaining debt of the estate is about $24,000.
This strikes me as not an unusual amount of debt, considering that medical
and funeral bills are involved.  Sale of Len's shell collection, not to
mention his other possession (stamps, pre-columbian pottery, vehicle,
furniture, books, etc.) should easily raise this amount.

This brings me to the main reason that I am sending this message.  I think
it is possible that the sale of items from the estate has already covered
the debts.  However, these sales had not been reported to the creditors as
of 29 June 1998, in a "Petition to Authorize Sale of Estate Assets" filed in
the Circuit Court for Dade County, Florida, File number 98-278, division 3.
This petition states as item 10 "That your Petitioner [Edward D. Paul], as
residuary beneficiary and personal representative, will make every effort to
obtain the best price for such collection, however, it is highly unlikely
that Petitioner will receive the appraised value for these shells and that
valid creditors may receive only a portion of the outstanding amount due and
owing."

I have documented many thousands of dollars of shells that have already been
sold, because many people have volunteered the information to me. If you
have purchased shells from the Leonard Hill estate, I would greatly
appreciate receiving information on what you purchased, what you paid for
it, the date of the transaction, means of payment, and, if payment was by
check, who you made the check out to. Various ways to contact me are given
below. I will also be at the COA convention. With this information, I hope
to document that the debts of the estate have been met by the sale of the
assets, that all the creditors should be paid in full, and that Len's
bequests can be fulfilled.

Many thanks,
Gary
Gary Rosenberg, Ph.D.                     [log in to unmask]
Malacology & Invertebrate Paleontology    gopher://erato.acnatsci.org
Academy of Natural Sciences               http://www.acnatsci.org
1900 Benjamin Franklin Parkway            Phone 215-299-1033
Philadelphia, PA 19103-1195 USA           Fax   215-299-1170